Friday, April 30, 2010

This is the blog I've been meaning to write: Ooh, shiny! What?

Sorry I've been AWOL recently. It's the end of the semester and my professors have taken the opportunity to cram in a few extra tests into the last few moments of the semester. As of right now, I have exactly twelve lectures left to attend this semester. Can I get a 'whoop whoop'?

My life as of right now is separated into several spheres of... sphericalness. They are as follows: School, Work, APO, Everything Else.

School: I believe we have covered the twelve lectures thing. All that is left to say is that I will most definitely be getting better grades than last semester! It is looking possible for me to get two or three As and one or two Bs (depending on how that one A swings)... which makes me a very happy and proud woman. I still have a lot of reading to do in the next week as well as tests on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (pray for me...) but the end is in sight!

Work: Emma is adorable. That is all. (Not really, I just like saying "that is all"!) Recently she's started to interact with me more when she plays instead of playing with just her toys. She'll share with me (and then take it back) and she'll climb into my lap and play with her toys. Recently, I've been tipping her back across my legs so that she can see the whole world upside down and she just loves that. She'll climb into my lap and toss her head back when she wants to. It is So. Cute.

APO: I am officially an active in good standing (yay!) and have put in my bid to be on the pledge training committee for the fall. Look out, future pledges! This year is our chapter's 75th anniversary, and we are hosting a huge weekend event. All of the alumni were invited and I think at least 200-300 alumni are coming. It is going to be a crazy weekend! Tomorrow, I am pretty much booked from 9:30am-11pm. There will be a Chapter-Alumni picnic, campus tours (an opportunity for old people to walk around with young people and talk about "Back in my day..."), the pledge initiation ceremony, and our end-of-semester banquet. Today there is a meet-and-greet/Hotel check in, and I may or may not try to go to it, depending on how cray-cray today turns out to be.

Everything Else: Yesterday, my car did this while I was driving Emma home.



Guess who flipped a shit? If you guessed me, you're right! It didn't help that when I looked in my instruction manual (all the while thinking "oh crap, my car is going to blow up and I have a BABY in the back seat") it told me that "it could be that your fuel cap isn't on tight enough, or it could be a problem in your engine." Something about that discrepancy in "It could be this, which means nothing, or your car could be dying" makes me wish that there were two lights on my dashboard for that purpose: One could be "Check (fuel cap symbol)" and "Run away! (with car surrounded by an explosion-y plume of smoke)". Also, what didn't help was that in order to fix the problem, I would have to take it into the Lexus dealership.

Anyway, I called my mother (who talked me down from my crazy place of "My car can't die! I love my car!" and called the dealership, who assured her (and she assured me) that it was probably simply that "Your car THINKS that something is coming out of the exhaust that shouldn't be, but it's okay. It's a stupid car and doesn't know better." Mom also pointed out to me that those lights are cautionary, and that when the light comes on it is meant as a warning, not that your car is about to blow up at that exact moment.

So because of said Alpha Rho, Alpha Phi Omega 75th Weekend Extravaganza (say that five times fast) I can't take my car in on Saturday... so I get drive Mom's car this weekend! (Mom has the granddaughter of my car, the newest Lexus SUV) and I have determined that, while this car is excellent and very impressive, it cannot do certain things that I would expect it to. For instance, my mother's car can't fly, fetch, apparate, OR drive for me while I take a nap. It can, however, fight crime, cure cancer, speak ten languages and turn water to wine.

(I may never give your car back, Mom. Sorry!)

No comments: