Friday, April 16, 2010

A more useful purpose?

Innocent, slightly see-through amateur painting in my bathroom? Or does it serve a more useful purpose?
Now that you ask, yes. Yes it does.

(BAM. DANGLY EARRING HOLDER.)

Those of you who have ever been in my bathroom in my apartment know of one of my more brilliant ideas, the bulletin board of necklaces:


This was born of out of a desire to not be charged exorbitant amounts of money when I move out for the dozens of little holes in my wall. Also, I happen to love bulletin boards! I've been looking at my bulletin board for a while now and trying to figure out how I could do something similar for my earrings. I didn't want to go out and spend a lot of money on something that wasn't nearly as personal (or as cool. I mean, what could be more cool, right?)

So the earring holder turned out to be a great idea! And a cheap project, considering how much I would have paid for something like this.

I bought everything at Michael's. The Frame was $10 (on sale), the fabric $5, the paintbrushes $4, and the paint about $3.50.

I set up shop on my kitchen table with a newspaper under the canvas and went a-paintin'. I had already drawn an idea of what I wanted, so laying the paint on took no time at all, probably 45 minutes or so to get it just right.

I hung up the canvas in my bathroom to dry, and it was totally dry in a few hours.

Getting the canvas onto the frame was a little more difficult. Because the wood wasn't as soft as I had anticipated, I ended up having to make little holes in the wood with a nail and hammer and then hammer in the flat pushpins to hold the canvas down. I hung it up on the wall and hung my earrings through!

Having the canvas close to the wall is very important, as if it is too far away the earrings fall right back through (especially if they're a little heavier) and some require doing a little dance and saying a magic spell in order to get them through and make them stay, so if I try again I might try and use a larger cross stitch fabric instead of the needlepoint.

So now what I'm thinking is that I need more earrings!

No comments: