Monday, February 21, 2011

"Liveblogging"

I'm going to "live blog" my Monday night at Bennu's (my new favorite place to study). Perhaps it will end up being funny?

8:52. Coffee acquired, computer set up. What do I study first?

9:05. First Facebook/Twitter break. The Texas Travesty (a funny student-run newspaper similar to The Onion) is live-tweeting from the Student Government debate, and tweeting things like "Channeling Ralph Nader's electoral success, Sameer refers to himself as an "outsider" to government."

9:10. My Bible class is a great class to be in, but it sure makes me look incredibly devout. I don't have a problem with looking devout, but I have a problem with people thinking I am pompously advertising that I am devout. I need to stop thinking about what people probably aren't thinking about me.

9:16. Boy, the Bible sure likes to repeat itself. I just read in Acts the fourth or fifth version of Moses' life I've read so far.

9:29. My iTunes library is so spastic. Duncan Sheik, Lady Gaga, and then JET. (But it did remind me to check when Lady Gaga's new CD comes out. May 23, if anyone's interested.)

9:39. Finished reading what I needed to of Acts. The last few Mondays I've been here I've spent upward of three or four hours reading the bible... this less-than-one-hour thing gives me hope for my future sanity! I think I will take a wee break now!

9:44. At some point I will have to read a little bit of Henry V tonight . It really bothered me this morning when my professor said "Canterbury" as "Cantabarry". Ladies and gentlemen, Americanization at it's finest.

9:50. Just realized I have a 55-page PDF file written by Justin Martyr to read for tomorrow. DISLIKE.

9:58. Giggling about the name written in the front of my latest children's lit book, Chasing Vermeer. "Jonathan Getzoff". (I giggle because I'm actually a 12-year-old boy.)

10:00. Time to read Chasing Vermeer for an hour or so. And then I tackle Justin Martyr. Maybe. If I feel like it. (I'll have to.)

10:03. Curious about who Vermeer was, I googled it. DUH. Girl with a Pearl Earring and that Milkmaid painting I studied in one of my Art History classes. (Facepalm).

10:32. Ally and a friend from her class arrived and forced me to leave my comfortable, warm place inside of the cafe and go outside, where there were more available tables. Now it is hard to concentrate, but I do have some tea to help me stay warm. It's not so cold (probably about 60 degrees) but it is blustery!

10:37. More Duncan Sheik in the iTunes. Singing "Totally Fucked" (Yes, an actual song, not just gratuitous vulgarity on my part!) instead of reading. This wind is so distracting.

10:41. Tea was not quite as hot as I like it when they gave it to me, it was at the temperature that most people drink tea as opposed to almost-boiling, which I prefer. Ally and I joked that it wasn't hot enough for me (being part British). She encouraged me to go inside and complain about the tepid tea. (I won't do it, but a Funny came out of our conversation: "Do you know why British people drink scalding hot tea? To melt our frigid insides!")

10:49. Flying south to seek warmer climes! (Leaving Bennu right now...)

Not the most interesting or productive evening, I suppose, but I think of telling you guys some of these things while I am studying, but can never seem to come up with a way to say them. Maybe I'll live blog again sometime and you'll get something of more variety.

(For your information, the evening finished with Ally and I rapping poorly, Ally teaching me how to booty dance and threatening to teach me how to walk in heels tomorrow night by marching me up and down the aisles at Target. Help?)

No comments: