Friday, May 14, 2010

Visitor!

Siobhan has confirmed plans for coming to Texas this summer, and the planning for it (she assures me she will be buying her ticket this week - so fingers crossed!) has forced me to make a list of things to do around Texas for this summer.

I am hoping that we can definitely hit up the major cities - Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, (and, of course, Austin) and see the major attractions like the Alamo and the NASA space center, but for the most part we'll be around Austin.

For some reason, it was really hard to think of things to do around Austin - like I haven't lived here for nearly my entire life or something! I pushed through my idea block and came up with a list of things we could do while she is here. I don't know if we could get to ALL of it, but we could try.

Outdoorsy stuff:
Duck tour: You know that awkward-looking vehicle that can be both a car AND a boat? I've ALWAYS wanted to go on one!
Kayaking on Town Lake: They rent out kayaks for something like $10/hour from Zilker Park. I think it would be great to get out on the lake and paddle about!
Wild Basin: To prove to Siobhan exactly how hot it can get here, I want to take her hiking around Wild Basin, which is this little nature reserve out in Westlake. It's a pretty view, too!
Inner Space Caverns: Caves. Enough said? (I love caves - they're so cool!)
Barton Springs: A 68-degree natural spring that would be good after something like Wild Basin.
Hamilton Pool: I've been there a few times, but all I can remember is that it's got a cool waterfall and it's really pretty out there!

Indoorsy/Museumy stuff:
Capitol building: It's like seeing the national capitol except pink! (And it saves you a pesky trip to Washington DC!)
Bob Bullock museum: A "History of Texas" museum is required on one's first trip to Texas, I would think! (Plus, there's that "Spirit of Texas" show with that one surprise that always amuses me!)
LBJ library: Since we'll be around the general campus area, we could go here too! I was taken on a field trip there enough times in school that I figure it must be important.
UT Campus: How can I drag her around campus without showing her the actual campus?

I have other things planned for Austin, but those are the touristy things I'd like to do with her. Any ideas? Anything that is missing from the list?

Also on the agenda are trips to Dallas (for the Lady Gaga concert!!), Houston (she wants to see NASA and I want to see if I can take her to a museum or two there as well as maybe to Galveston so she can see the gulf! Fingers crossed they'll have that oil spill thing 'fixed' by then!) and to San Antonio (Remember the Alamo!) and San Marcos (to wander around that lovely outlet mall they've got there.

What am I missing? What would you recommend I show Siobhan on her first trip to America?

No comments: