Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Feather in My Cap

Miss Emma was sick today, so Jenny called me this morning and told me I didn't have to go to work. Wondering what I could do to fill my afternoon with productive things, I went to my planner, which told me: "It's been 8 weeks since your last haircut! You can go get one now!" So off I trotted to the mall.

I love days with haircuts! Someone else shampoos my hair for me, I get to amuse myself making funny faces in the mirrors while I chat with the hairdresser, and I get a lollipop on the way out. In other words, it's like being FIVE again!

To show off my haircut (which I am rather pleased with!) I thought I would make some funny faces in the mirror, vaguely reminiscent of the myspace era.


How very myspacey of you, Stefanie in the Mirror! I love the awkward kissy lips, it definitely sets the photo off nicely. Oh, and what a nice haircut you have!


Why thank you, Stefanie of the Blogging. Would you like to see it closer!?! TAKE A LOOK!


Wow! That is SUPER CLOSE! Wait! Wait! What is THAT?!

There is definitely something wrong here... But what could it be?


There it is! I found it! It is THIS!


What IS it you ask? What could it possibly BE?


It is a feather. (Actually, three feathers).


And yes, they are in my cap.

(Here ends the photojournalismy portion of the blog.)

My hairdresser and I were talking about the feather fad floating around, which she said that she remembers being a thing when she was much younger. I don't doubt it - I know how things go in and out of style. I've seen a few girls around UT with them and I'd seen this video of someone getting them put in, so I asked a few questions, expressed sentiment that I couldn't possibly be cool enough for feathers in my hair, and our conversation moved on. (It is what all the cool cats do, I am sure.)

As she was straightening my hair at the end, my hairdresser brought up the feathers again, and convinced me that I was, indeed cool enough, (this was rather shocking: not many people vouch for my cool factor, you see), saying that I could take them out myself if I wanted, that it is not permanent, but would stay in almost as long as I wanted them to, and that she would do it for free.

And I said "YES. Why not? Put a feather on my head!" (Free things always do it for me.)

(In the past she has convinced me to get bangs in a similar manner. Slowly, so slowly, she is turning me into a "fashionable" person!)

And now I have a feather in my cap. I am pleased. Inexplicably, I also feel like my cool-factor has significantly upped since this morning. Haircuts may make me feel like I am five, but this feather makes me feel like the coolest third grader on the block. Maybe the whole neighborhood.

(Having a feather 'in my cap' also makes me think of this movie, which I could probably watch every day for the rest of my life and never tire of!)

(Enjoy that video. I hope it makes you smile.)

No comments: