Thursday, March 10, 2011

An Epic Tale

This tale is not so much epic in its imposing or impressive qualities and it doesn't have to do with anything to do with the literary tradition, but is, instead, rather epic in its length...

You see, it all started about three weeks ago after MBU. You all will remember that I stayed up for a ridiculous amount of time, working tirelessly, dedicating myself in a zombielike fashion to the education of sixty or so boy scouts. Well, I think because I was subsisting entirely on caffeine and adrenaline (and poor choices, of course!) my immune system must have welcomed in something it shouldn't have, because by Tuesday, I was coughing up a storm.

Mom guessed that it was probably RSV (a virus that attacks the respiratory system and is apparently highly contagious... and after checking symptoms, I agreed with her.) Well, although I was coughing and had mostly lost my voice by that point, I felt wretched on Saturday and spent the day in bubble baths and blowing my nose. Sunday, however, I was feeling much better. But because I had been feeling so ill (and because I supposedly had this highly contagious disease) I called in sick to work at the Church, because I didn't want to give the young 'uns anything. I called Jenny and told her, as well, and she gave me a day off, too.

The following week, was mostly clear of incident. I awarded myself the Nanny of the Week award for being so calm and composed with Emma on that Thursday when she came down with something which caused her temperature to spike to 103.5. Poor baby was so miserable.

Well, we must have swapped diseases or something, because by Sunday, I woke up not feeling very well at all. So I turned right over and went back to sleep. I felt a little feverish, and I didn't really want to go to the Church, but because I hadn't had a chance to call in sick, I didn't want to leave them without childcare. So I went, and when I showed up, I lasted about fifteen minutes when one of them popped their head in, said "You look awful!" and sent me back to my bed (where I gladly went... after meeting with some friends in one of my classes to finish a project.)

Monday was fine. Tuesday was a struggle after about 5pm. But Wednesday sucked. I couldn't stop coughing, I was wheezy, I had a fever (ranging between 99-101.7), I was achey, I was misable. The day was made slightly better by my own knight in shining armor, my brother, coming to pick me up so I could go pick up some medicine from the store, because I didn't trust myself to operate heavy machinery. The day was also made better by the 6 hour Monty Python documentary I found on Netflix.

Today, thank goodness, I feel much better, although my abs are so sore! Certainly, I don't feel great (my cough and my nose are just as runny as yesterday, but instead of running a fever, I've consistently been below 98.6 degrees today. I've been confident in my ability to operate heavy machinery, as well. I've watched three movies today: Monty Python's Life of Brian, Beauty and the Briefcase (an ABC family movie), and Then She Found Me. That's a spectrum if I've ever heard of one.

So, after visiting the doctor today and being armed with antibiotics, I am going to fight whatever the hell has nested itself in my body and in my lungs, because I am sick of being short of breath (being winded by little hills is embarrassing and I don't want it to happen again) and I am sick of being feverish and having to blow my nose all the time. Winter is over, it is Spring Break (or will be in a matter of hours) and I want to feel well enough to sun myself in my new bikini without having to worry about carrying a tissue box with me.

(But on the plus side, I've lost like 5 pounds this week. It turns outs being sick and having no appetite is a great way to lose weight. Hah.)

What should I watch on Netflix over Spring Break? Suggestions?

No comments: