Thursday, January 27, 2011

Country Night

Last semester, my friend Ally was lamenting to me that she never got to go out and take advantage of the fabulous live music scene here in Austin. Deciding it was a good idea to climb out of our dark little university holes, Ally found us a show and out we went!

We went to Antone's, which is a venue on 5th street, and somewhere I had never been before. It was pretty much everything a music venue could be - stage, dance floor, and two very long bars with booze aplenty.

The Turnpike Troubadours opened, and had some really fun, catchy songs. Ally knew some of them, I just pretended I did.



While we were dancing and enjoying the music, my love of fiddlers was rekindled. String instruments fascinate me... violins and fiddles are so expressive and I wish I knew how to play. Anyway, any man with a fiddle is my new best friend, (since it's not exactly cool to be a groupie of the fiddler in the band...)


After the Turnpike Troubadours, Jason Boland took the stage with the only song I knew of his ("Blowing through the hills", which is super catchy and highlights my new favorite instrument!) and the rest of the night was filled with more dancing and singing.


I think my new favorite thing about going to live shows is the way that people raise their drinks more frequently toward the end of the show. The more they drink, the more they toast.


(FYI the Lone Star wasn't mine. I was "classy" and drank Dos Equis instead.)

(Also, let the record stand that for the first time in my life I was bought a drink by someone who was neither related to me NOR my friend prior to the concert. Momentous moments, indeed.)

No comments: